Here’s How to Help Those Affected by Hurricane Harvey
While it’s already been a month since Hurricane Harvey, we all know that there are some people out there suffering from the devastation. Here are just a few ways to get them the help they desperately need:
- Food banks are always in need of non-perishable items, including canned items, dry goods and cleaning supplies. Contact Feeding Texas, a network of food banks across the state, for more information.
- Donate cash or diapers to the Texas Diaper Bank, which is providing emergency diaper kits to displaced families. You may also donate underwear, bras and disposable diapers through Amazon.
- Teachers of Tomorrow, a Texas education organization, has initiated a relief fund to help educators in the impacted areas rebuild their classrooms. If you’d rather, you can contribute to Communities In Schools to help schools located in the affected areas.
- The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Texas is assisting displaced animals. You can either make a donation or sign up to adopt a displaced animal. In the same vein, both the Animal Defense League of Texas and the Houston Humane Society are seeking help.
- Hospitals are always in need of blood donations, and the need becomes even more critical following a storm. O negative and O positive are the types that are most helpful, but all blood types are welcome to donate.
- Naturally, several local and national organizations are continuing to collect donations for their disaster relief efforts. The list is nearly endless, but we suggest contacting the Salvation Army, Catholic Charities USA, Heart to Heart, Southern Baptist Disaster Relief, Save the Children and the United Methodist Committee on Relief to find out how you can help.
At Advantage BMW of Clear Lake, we’re proud to be a part of our community.